Friday, May 13, 2011

Comme Ca- West Hollywood, CA http://www.commecarestaurant.com/los-angeles/

According to the Bays Bible (aka The New York Times), Comme Ca by Chef David Myers in West Hollywood has the perfect burger.  I am not supposed to question the bible but I don’t know if the search is over.  My burger partner in crime (the beautiful Denise Cox-Bays) and I are huge fans of French cuisine and we were both rooting for the Comme Ca Burger. Let’s just say I am still on the quest of the Holy Grail or in Abby’s world the quest for The Perfect Burger.
                It was a beautiful sunny Friday afternoon that only Los Angeles can offer.  Along with the beautiful weather came something else that Los Angeles offers: TRAFFIC!!! We had reservations at noon but due to traffic neither of us got there till 12:30.  Also Comme Ca is a tad hard to find.  Having moved here just under a year ago now, I thought it might be a bit easier to find.  I was wrong.  After going on Melrose Place (wrong road) and driving by the restaurant probably three times, I asked a very helpful parking attendant where the restaurant was.  I don’t think I was the first and defiantly will not be the last to ask where Comme Ca is. Finally, I pulled my lovely Nissan Sentra into the valet of Comme Ca.  We walked up the ramp and entered what I can only describe as a sleek Parisian bistro.   
                Comme Ca has the homey, airy and sleek French feel that can only be described as wonderful.  It is hard to explain but I would say go for the décor alone.   Denise and I sat in a cozy banquet near the window.  We were extremely excited to try the infamous burger and just as excited to have Soupe À L’Oignon Gratinée (French onion soup).  Denise and I each ordered the soup and the burger.  I of course ordered mine medium well with no cheese.  We were in heaven thinking about what was about to come out and go into our bellies.
                The Soupe À L’Oignon Gratinée came out first.  It was sweet, cheesy and wonderful.  Maybe that was our mistake for ordering the soup…because after scarfing down the soup, we were full.  I have to say I am a huge onion soup fan.  It is one of the only soups that I care for (besides a great lobster bisque and Stonehouse’s Clam Chowder in Gilford, CT).  I do have to admit that if there is one thing that I miss about my marriage it is that my ex used to make me Soupe À L’Oignon Gratinée whenever I wanted. But soup will not save a marriage! But I digress, the soup was AMAZING!!!! Go to Comme Ca for the soup alone!!!
                After the soup, the waiter brought out what could only be described as the most beautiful burger I have ever seen.   The bun was a beautiful golden brown with a sheen that I felt like I could see my face in. Of course the burger came with pomme frites (French fries) in a beautiful silver cup.  I asked for extra aioli on the side so I could dip my fries in it.  It was heaven.  On top of the meat was what I could only describe as a high-end coleslaw with lettuce, onion and aioli mixed together.  Denise and I dug into the burger.  We both had high hopes…but they fell flat. Yes it was the most beautiful burger I have ever seen - the taste was good but not great.  I just didn’t feel like it was a party in my mouth. It didn’t leave me speechless.  But I wonder, was I just too full from the soup? No, because we totally ordered cream brulee after wards so that wasn’t it.  The burger had good flavor but I am sorry New York Times, it was not the best burger.   I would say the The Comme Ca burger was Comme Ci, Comme Ca (aka So-So).  The first burger that has not made it to the semi-finals.   But I will defiantly go back for the soup and maybe next time I will try the Moules et Frites!
Score: 5.99

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's so fun looking back at old posts,Denise Bays is my mom and she told me about this! I read the whole thing and it sounds fun and yummy! - Pippa Bays

    ReplyDelete