Thursday, March 24, 2011

Father's Office: Culver City http://www.fathersoffice.com/

Even before I had moved to the City of Angels, I had heard about this mysterious place called Father’s Office. Everyone told me “you have to try this burger. It is going to blow your mind.”  I was told many times that Father’s Office has the best burger in Los Angeles, if not the world.  I decided I had to try it out for myself. I will warn you though; the same people who told me about this amazing burger also scared me a little.  They all warned me that you are not allowed to ask for condiments (especially ketchup!), the wait staff isn’t very friendly and there are no substitutions. It is even on their website!!! So for me that meant gasp I, Abigail Bays, would have to eat a cheeseburger!!!!!!!
I was, needless to say, just as excited for this burger as I was nervous for it.   On a crisp Saturday night, armed with my burger partners in crime (Carter and Denise Bays), we ventured to Father’s Office in Culver City.  Right when we walked in I was a tad thrown off. It is very much a bar that serves food. (Which I love).  You have to order at the bar, they give you a number and then someone will deliver you your food.  We all saddled up to the bar and I took a deep breath bracing myself for a sassy bartender.  He was actually extremely nice. We ordered our burgers (I didn’t dare ask for no cheese). I ordered mine medium well, Denise ordered hers well done and Carter went for medium rare.  Of course we order regular and sweet potato fries. Then we went on a search for a table.
Father’s Office is a first come first sit, so we had to creep and hover around people to try and find a table.  Luck was on our side that night and we found a table outside.  Our fries came out first and they were wonderful. I usually don’t care for sweet potato fries but with the aioli, it was amazing.
            The burgers arrived and I felt like there should be fanfare.  My mouth was watering (and still is when I think about it) and I couldn’t wait for him to put it on the table.  It is placed in front of me and I was taken aback.  It is not a usual burger because it is not on a traditional hamburger bun.  I would only describe it as an amazing French baguette, crusty on the outside but also soft. You didn’t feel like you were going to chip your tooth biting in. The Office Burger has caramelized onions, applewood bacon compote, gruyere, matag blue cheese and arugula.   My only complainant off the bat was there was a heck of a lot of arugula so I took it off  before I even tried a bite.  But my friends, that is my only complaint about that burger.  It was heaven, heaven heaven!!!! The amazing combination of the onions, bacon and dare I say the cheeses made me want to do the Happy Abby Dance right there.  The onions are sweet and with the gruyere almost had a French onion flavor.  Carter and Denise felt the same way. Our table was extremely silent. I, Abby Bays, was speechless!!! AMAZING!!!  The only time I spoke during the eating process was when I saw Evan Handler who played Harry Goldenblatt aka Charlotte’s Harry in Sex and the City.  That just put me over the edge!
            Of course I only ate half and brought it home for the other taste tester, my roomie and bestie, Shannon.  She loved it! It is way way way way  too early to say that this the best burger in Los Angeles, but Father’s Office is hands down in the semi finals.  I look forward to returning there to see if it can stand up to the others.  Ok everyone…I finally understand about Father’s Office.
Score: 8.99 

No comments:

Post a Comment